There are countless excellent reasons for creating an organic kitchen garden. Here I will illuminate ten:
- ECONOMICS: Seeds can multiply 7-15 times their weight. At $4.00/lb. for seed, that yields 26 cents for a pound of fresh sprouted indoor-grown organic greens!
- NUTRITION: Sprouts are baby plants in their prime. They have a greater concentration of proteins, vitamins and minerals, enzymes, RNA, DNA, bio-flavinoids, T-cells, etc., than at any other point in the plant’s life even when compared with the mature vegetable!
- ORGANICS: No pesticides, synthetic fertilizers or fumigants. No chemicals. No foolin!
- AVAILABILITY: From Florida to Alaska; in January or July, enjoy live food anytime, anywhere, even on a boat or when hiking a mountain trail.
- SPACE & TIME: It’s Easy! Just add water! No soil. No bugs. No green thumb required. No special lights. One pound grows in only 9 inches of space and takes 1 minute of care per day.
- FRESHNESS: Eaten when picked. No loss of nutrients sitting in warehouses or grocer’s shelves.
- DIGESTIBILITY: As baby plants, their delicate cell walls easily release elemental nutrients. Abundant enzymes make them easy to digest even for those with weak digestion.
- VERSATILITY: More varieties of salad greens than on the supermarket shelves. Including buckwheat lettuce, baby sunflower, garlic chives, Chinese cabbage, purple turnip, curly kale, daikon radish, crimson clover, golden alfalfa and more… Your salads will literally come alive!
- MENUS & MEALS: Make sprout breads from sprouted wheat, rye, or barley. Snacks from sprouted peanuts, hummus dip from sprouted garbanzo, cooked vegetable side dish made from sprouted green peas, Chinese sautes from mung, adzuki and lentils, even sprouted wheat pizza!
- ECOLOGY: No airplanes or fuel/oil consumed to deliver this food to you. No petroleum based pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
© Copyright – Steve Meyerowitz, Sproutman®