Still think sprouts are just for garnishing? It’s time to dispel that misconception for good with a main course everyone will love. There’s really nothing better than these vegan, sprout-powered tacos—with homemade cassava tortillas, piled high with guac. It’s sure to be a new Friday night favorite in your house.
(There are a lot of little steps and components here, but don’t be intimidated—they’re all deliciously simple!)
Homemade Cassava Tortillas
(recipe based on Otto’s Naturals, makes 12 tortillas)
1 ½ c cassava flour
4 Tbsp olive oil
¾ c warm water
1/2 tsp of salt
Power Protein Beans
4 shallots, finely sliced
1 c shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp chipotle powder
A pinch of salt
2 c fresh Power Protein sprouts (or sprouted mung beans)
Cabbage Cauliflower Slaw
¼ of a head of purple cabbage, finely sliced
⅓ of a head of cauliflower, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp salt
3-4 ripe avocados, flesh scooped into bowl
¼ c fresh garlic sprouts, minced (or sub a small shallot, diced)
1-2 limes, juiced
¼ c finely chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
A pinch of salt
TO MAKE TORTILLAS:
- Combine ingredients in a bowl until a soft dough forms, adding water as needed. The texture should feel like firm sugar cookie dough.
- Heat a dry griddle on high and roll the dough into 12 balls.
- Flatten each ball on a tortilla press (or flatten between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin).
- Cook a few at a time, about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side (or until lightly cooked—no oil needed).
- Wrap cooked tortillas in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm and steamy until serving.
TO MAKE BEANS:
- Sauté shallots, mushrooms, chipotle powder, and salt over medium heat in a bit of olive oil until softened and fragrant (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in Power Protein sprouts, cover pan, and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and serve in a bowl.
TO MAKE SLAW:
- Toss all ingredients well in a large bowl, massaging the salt and lime juice into the slaw.
- Let sit at room temperature for 10-30 minutes and serve.
TO MAKE GUACAMOLE:
- Mash avocados roughly, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Adjust salt and lime juice as needed and serve in a wide bowl.
- Set all bowls on the table.
- Assemble tacos one at a time, piling a scoop of each ingredient into a tortilla.
- Add salsa and other toppings as desired. Enjoy!